Skip to main content
Topic: State of Ultimate and Horizons? (Read 19991 times) previous topic - next topic

State of Ultimate and Horizons?

So, recentish developments in the Minecraft world have presented an interesting possibility in the future.

1) The craftbukkit fiasco has left the people working on the Craftbukkit/Spigot and Forge sides to finally work together, for the first time in fucking ever. This has resulted in the Sponge project, who are actively communicating with md_5 and the other Spigot folks.

2) The drama also resulted in the forge team ensuring that vanilla clients could connect to Forge servers in 1.8, and likewise. Sponge will be following suit once that is released.

3) We have a working 1.8 Bungeecord network. It just needs to be fleshed out, when Myobi and others have time (volunteers are welcome, though ask Myobi first, please). I also need to find a good cross-server chat plugin. I may end up having to write my own. Also need to redo permissions. Blech.

4) Starting with Minecraft 1.7 upgrades have been a lot more pleasant. This is doubly true with the possibility of plugins that e.g. regenerate chunks.

Given the above, my plan is to eventually have all of our minecraft servers on the same 'network', allowing everyone to communicate with each other while they play.

It may be possible for me to find or put together a 1.7.10 pack for this (bungee doesn't really care what it proxies for), but unfortunately, 1.6.4 and 1.4.7 (Horizons and Ultimate) aren't going to work with this scheme.

So I'm wondering who all is using those two servers and what thoughts would be as to their eventual retirement. I think it would be nice to have the entire community able to talk to each other, regardless of what they were playing.

Re: State of Ultimate and Horizons?

Reply #1
I don't mind.  I had a lot of fun on Ultimate, but if you want to retire it, I wouldn't object.

Reply #2
That first part of the post I understood about zero of... XDD

As for the second half, I actually wouldn't mind retiring Horizons, even though I have an uber tower I built and other such stuff. I haven't logged on in forever though so there might be people playing there that I'm not aware of?

I think it'd be really cool to be able to chat to people no matter what they were playing, and I also think it'd be interesting to have something new to do with the community. 

Since I didn't understand the first part of the post, would the new server have different mods, would it be just vanilla? What kind of things were you thinking of including and what difficulty?

Thanks!

Reply #3
Since Cheetah hasn't been logging on, I suppose I'm the one that's primarily using Horizons.  I have had a lot of fun there, won't deny that, but I don't mind exploring new possibilities.  If it would be possible for me to get a partial copy of the world?  I could nab boundary coordinates to limit the overall size...
I am not a number.  I am a random variable!

Reply #4
The new server will be Vanilla 1.8 with additional plugins. Since we want to make it easier for the players, I don't believe we'll be looking into implementing any mods as that would require the player to install it manually to their client whereas plugins are completely server-side. However, some plugins are still being updated so we're currently testing some out while waiting for others to be completed.

The Bungeecord network that Veks has set up would mean that we can create a world that connects to several other worlds. For example, we plan to have survival and creative worlds available and they would all be accessible from a main 'lobby'; the portal would send you to a completely different world, not just a different part of the map. This opens up the possibility of linking to modded worlds, such as Ultimate and Horizons, except it would have to be an updated version that is at least 1.7.10.

Of course, we're still doing a lot of fiddling (read: Veks is doing lots of fiddling while Myobi is very confusedly trying to learn ::)) but we're hoping that everyone will love the new server and all its perks.

Oniya: Yes, I can certainly send you a copy of the map if you'd like -- this applies to anyone else who may be interested, for Ultimate as well as Horizons.

Reply #5
Seeing as how I havent logged on in a while, I am totally fine with a clean slate.

Reply #6
I just got a new laptop that I think can handle the new Minecraft mods.  So a restart would save me having to hassle the Myobi to teleport me far out into the wilderness to find unspoiled territory.

Guess I'll have to think of some other reason to hassle the Myobi...   ;)

Reply #7
Same. I haven't been on in forever. <.< Wouldn't mind a blank slate.

Reply #8
In addition, would like a server with some of the advanced mods in the future. :)

Reply #9
I haven't been on either server in a very long time. Having a fresh start would be most welcomed. I'd like a copy of the Ultimate server map because I'm still in love with my castle.

Reply #10
In addition, would like a server with some of the advanced mods in the future. :)

Even the vanilla servers are going to be rather advanced. Ask Myobi what she thinks of the Citizens NPC plugins >_>

If we can get or make a Cauldron compatible modpack that people are interested in, with versions requiring forge 1236 at the latest, that should still be able to talk to Bungee. Would anyone be interested in helping with finding/making such a thing?

Reply #11
It would be sad to see Ultimate end, but everything has to have a conclusion after all.  I'll miss some of the modded stuff, but a clean slate on a more updated version of the game (1.4.7, you're nice but compared to 1.8, it's like looking at a VW Bug and a Ferrari) certainly has it's appeal as well.

So when the time comes, I'd like to have a copy of Ultimate, and then will begin plotting doom for the new server. :D

Reply #12
Little Oni and I have a mod-project that we will be working on at some point (school comes first), but I believe the reference book I have is the most recent release.  (Sams Teach Yourself series)  I've gotten as far as installing Eclipse, Forge, and the JDK.
I am not a number.  I am a random variable!

Reply #13
I never once stepped onto horizons, and I was only on Ultimate pretty much to build something at spawn so I don't really have much attachment to either of them.

As for mods and such, I'm unsure of any really great modpacks though I have been able to create my own mods for forge 1.7.10, and I'm pretty sure updating them to 1.8 once (if it's not already) the new forge comes out. So if anyone would want something, it shouldn't be too hard to add I would say.

Reply #14

Even the vanilla servers are going to be rather advanced. Ask Myobi what she thinks of the Citizens NPC plugins >_>

If we can get or make a Cauldron compatible modpack that people are interested in, with versions requiring forge 1236 at the latest, that should still be able to talk to Bungee. Would anyone be interested in helping with finding/making such a thing?

I can try to see if I can find anything. but no guarantees since I'm not entirely mod literate.