Skip to main content
Topic: World Weirdness, or What Was That?! (Read 22400 times) previous topic - next topic

World Weirdness, or What Was That?!

Mostly a place for those of us new to FtB (and this server in particular) to ask questions of the more experienced players.  This morning, Kaz was around to explain what it meant when I got the message 'The air around you is suffused with strange energy' (an unstable node, generally.  In my case, I apparently have 'dangerous levels of Flux'.  Who knew?  It wasn't in the real-estate agency's disclosure forms!)

But, just in case there isn't a helpful Kazbeast around, I figured a place for us to ask about these things off-server might be useful.

A strange thing that happened later is that I (finally) made a bed, and when I went to set my Spawn, I got a message that I need '+9 to sleep.'

Also, despite being well lit, my warp point is apparently 'too dangerous', and it warps me outside.  (Which is actually more dangerous usually!)
I am not a number.  I am a random variable!

Re: World Weirdness, or What Was That?!

Reply #1
Mostly a place for those of us new to FtB (and this server in particular) to ask questions of the more experienced players.  This morning, Kaz was around to explain what it meant when I got the message 'The air around you is suffused with strange energy' (an unstable node, generally.  In my case, I apparently have 'dangerous levels of Flux'.  Who knew?  It wasn't in the real-estate agency's disclosure forms!)

But, just in case there isn't a helpful Kazbeast around, I figured a place for us to ask about these things off-server might be useful.

A strange thing that happened later is that I (finally) made a bed, and when I went to set my Spawn, I got a message that I need '+9 to sleep.'

Also, despite being well lit, my warp point is apparently 'too dangerous', and it warps me outside.  (Which is actually more dangerous usually!)

This is a great idea for a thread!

The +9 to sleep message you got is part of a somewhat buggy plug-in for the server. Reduces and regulates the number of required sleeping people to skip through the night. If the required number of people are in bed (last I check it was usually 1 less than what is displayed), the game will turn over to a new day and those in bed will get some experience orbs.

As for your warp, it might have something to do with the nature of the warp location? I had some trouble a couple of weeks ago when I placed my warp in some pretty tight quarters and it shifted me around.

Reply #2

This is a great idea for a thread!

The +9 to sleep message you got is part of a somewhat buggy plug-in for the server. Reduces and regulates the number of required sleeping people to skip through the night. If the required number of people are in bed (last I check it was usually 1 less than what is displayed), the game will turn over to a new day and those in bed will get some experience orbs.

As for your warp, it might have something to do with the nature of the warp location? I had some trouble a couple of weeks ago when I placed my warp in some pretty tight quarters and it shifted me around.

That's mostly true, the pattern that I've noticed is that it's one less than the number of people that are active to the plugin. For example, if you're online but have been afk for a while it isn't supposed to count you.

Reply #3

Hmm.  I didn't think it was all that tight - 3 block high ceilings and a pretty huge room.  There's a snow golem in a little fenced-in area (I think I'm going to call him Wilson) and a stairway down to the catacombs, but those are the only things in a 19x19 circular room.  Maybe if I move the golem upstairs and set the warp in the middle of the room...

Reply #4
Hmm.  I didn't think it was all that tight - 3 block high ceilings and a pretty huge room.  There's a snow golem in a little fenced-in area (I think I'm going to call him Wilson) and a stairway down to the catacombs, but those are the only things in a 19x19 circular room.  Maybe if I move the golem upstairs and set the warp in the middle of the room...

It's recognizing the golem as mob so it wont let you warp near it, just in case it were to be able to attack you.

Reply #5
I think Ritsu's probably right. I had my warp set in my home too but now I have a tiny 'petting zoo' which originally housed my dogs but is now also home to a minoshroom and mist wolf. I think my warp became unsafe shortly after the additional 'pets' were added.

Reply #6
I'll just have to lead Wilson to a different area then.  I'll take him upstairs tomorrow (or try to - he doesn't seem to want to wander in his little pen.)

Reply #7
*can offer you a pokeball to move him*

Reply #8
I'm gradually moving him upstairs - I'm not sure how far I'll have to get him away from the warp for it to be effective, though.  (Maybe I should have guided him down...)

Reply #9
Well, I finally got my public warp safe.  Mostly by having to completely re-do it because all warps are public when you first create them, and I needed to make a private one.  I also apparently have an attack cow, because the private warp is registering as 'too dangerous' now, and that's the only mob that can access it.  (I walled it in while I was working.  Shouldn't be too long before meat's back on the menu!)

Reply #10
Typically it doesn't have to do with the mobs that surround it.  I created one early on, and then shortly thereafter I wound up planting some trees in that spot.  So...it told me it was too dangerous and I had to be moved.  I think the game knows when you can potentially warp into a wall and suffocate.  Or in my case a tree.  My warp is now inside my home and it works fine.  I forget where exactly as I'm not logged in atm.

Reply #11
Hm.  Strangely, the new warp is now safe, despite the fact that I've put more walls in the immediate vicinity.

Unfortunately, my attack cow seems to be the only bovine in the area.  There is a large flock of really dumb sheep nearby (at least six), though.  I rescued them from a two-deep hole the other day, and they've promptly found another one.  They can wait there until I've got walls nearer to them.

Reply #12
loneliness might explain why Killer the Cow is so dangerous.

Seriously though, if you can transport them feel free to take two or three of mine.

Reply #13
Transport is always the problem.  I think there's one near Tower Van de Graaf - it's just a matter of traveling cross-country with it.  I figured out how to display livestock on the minimap, so that's going to help.  I've got plenty of bread and apples, though, so I'm not very worried about it.

Reply #14
You can also craft safari nets, which basically act like pokeballs. You can right click an animal with the safari net and then just pocket them and right click again with the occupied safari net to let it out.