Skip to main content
Topic: Lava Power Tutorial (Read 3191 times) previous topic - next topic

Lava Power Tutorial

Okay guys, I've had a lot of people ask how I set up my power generation for my Industrial Craft machines, so here goes a tutorial!

Step 1: Gathering the Necessary Parts

So, from left to right in my inventory are: 2 Levers, 4 Redstone Engines, 1 Pump (the BuildCraft version, made by crafting a tank and a Mining Well), a stack of Cobble (to build a platform, you could need more or less depending on the size you want.) 2 Endertanks coded to the same color pattern, at least 1 of the following either a Geothermal Generator, or a Thermal Generator (This is mostly preference vs availability of resources. The Thermal is 50% more efficient with the lava you pump in, and therefore outputs more EU per tick but is more expensive to build. Look up the recipe in the NEI and make your choice from there.), and finally at least 1 Chunk loader.

Step 2: Setting up the Lava Gathering

Okay, here's my basic set up. This is set up on a 3x3 platform, with the middle block broken out(This is so the pump can access the lava below). In the middle goes the Pump and on each of the four sides is a Redstone Engine (It's worth noting here that any type of engine can be used, as long as the Pump receives MJ but Redstone Engines are by far the cheapest and don't take any fuel. They'll be sufficient for anyone just starting out). Then on two opposite corners go the Levers. These are used to turn on the Engines. Now your pump is running. In another of the free corners, again doesn't matter which, place your Chunk Loader. Finally place one of the Endertanks on top and you're good to go. Be sure to leave the dial on the front to the default setting.

A recommendation for the settings for your Chunk Loader

You can use any size you want, just make sure you cover a decent amount of the lava source. If you're not sure how big that is, use the Show Lasers button

Step 3: Setting Up Your Power

Okay first place your other Endertank down, and smack the revolving nob once. This will set the tank to output. From here place down your Generator of choice beside the Endertank. Congratulations! You're making power! To verify this, right click the Generator to open the gui, you should see something that lets you know the tank is filling. For the Geothermal it'll be a little red square and for the Thermal it'll tell you how much liquid is stored.

You can place down any sort of machine directly next to the generator and they'll run fine, however if you'd like to store some of that power for later, you can make a bat box to store the energy.

Re: Lava Power Tutorial

Reply #1
Thank you for taking the time to post this tutorial, Ritsu! I'll definitely be trying it out this weekend~!

So if I want to store power, should I be placing (or hooking up with cables) a batbox next to the generator? Or did you mean even if I place it right next to the endertank that's outputting, the energy will go straight into the batbox?
[floatleft][/floatleft]
[floatright]Need help? Having problems?
PM me or poke me here:

Steam: Myobikins
Discord: Esoteric Myobi #1414[/floatright]

Reply #2
I believe if you put the machine next to the thermal generator, it will function. To store energy you can wire the generator up to a bat box (which she said is sufficient for low voltage machines). The ender tank's out put is lava, so maybe if you're putting it next to a combustion engine... but really you'd want to work with electrical at that point.

Reply #3
Thank you for taking the time to post this tutorial, Ritsu! I'll definitely be trying it out this weekend~!

So if I want to store power, should I be placing (or hooking up with cables) a batbox next to the generator? Or did you mean even if I place it right next to the endertank that's outputting, the energy will go straight into the batbox?
You're more than welcome sweetie!

Yes, it needs to be connected to the generator, not the Endertank. The Endertank will only ever output lava, Not energy. If you want power, you need to hook into the generator, either by placing directly next to it, or by using cables.

It's worth noting that the batbox has a dot on 1 side. This is the output dot. It is the only place you can get power from it, so if you want to power more than one machine, you'll need cables running from the bat box to your machines. When you place a bat box it will always make the output side face you. A handy trick for moving it is to use your wrench. 1 click makes it face you, and if its facing you 1 click will break it into item form. Also if you Shift + click it will face away from you.